Following Circular No 832/61 of 17th July 1961 from the Secretary of State for the colonies and the felt need of all institutions including statutory bodies and voluntary organisations working for the welfare of the society at large, the Mauritius Council of Social Service was founded in November 1965. From a social service coordinating body, MACOSS has evolved into a Council of NGOs dedicated to social services and sustainable social development
- To promote voluntary/charitable activities, community and social development in Mauritius, in particular, the advancement of social education, the furtherance of health and the relief of poverty, distress and sickness.
- To promote and foster co-operation in the achievement of the above purposes by bringing together representatives of the statutory bodies and voluntary organisations engaged in the furtherance of the above purposes.
- To stimulate and promote economic, social and cultural activities for the advancement of the community.
- To assist in the planning and coordination of the activities of member organisations.
- To organise workshops, seminars, conferences and training courses for voluntary social workers, personnel of voluntary organisations, non-governmental organisations and professionals to strengthen their organizational and managerial capabilities.
- To co-ordinate the activities of NGOs in emergency and natural disaster activities and programmes.
- To collect, diffuse and share information pertaining to adult education and development in particular.
- To promote, encourage and undertake experimental work.